|BERG is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to work within the Omics group, in the Diagnostics division of Berg, to develop and apply state-of-the art proteomics technology to address compelling questions in biology, chemistry and clinical medicine. The successful candidate will join a team responsible for biomarker discovery/validation in multiple disease areas, including neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes, obesities, and cancer, using state-of-the-art quantitative proteomics platforms.
- Drive research in quantitative analysis of protein expression and modifications (phosphorylation, acetylation, ubiquitinylation, etc.) as well as characterizing the role of different enzymes (eg. kinases) induced by perturbation using functional and activity-based mass spectrometry approaches.
- Identify the mechanism of action of drugs and drug-like molecules; developing and optimizing novel, broadly enabling proteomic technologies including targeted, quantitative MS assay development for proteins and modifications.
- Improve on BERG diagnostic protein QC pipeline to develop advance methods for intact protein separation and MS analyses.
- Collaborate closely with analytical biochemistry, molecular biology, and computational research staff to design, plan, and perform experiments, collect data, and conduct data analysis.
- Mentor scientists and research associates.
- Requires a PhD degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or Analytical Sciences with relevant postdoctoral experience and 5-10 years’ experience with nanoLC-MSMS analysis using HR/HA mass spectrometry instruments.
- A strong background in state-of-the-art proteomics; some experience in cell biology, signaling and/or systems biology.
- Familiarity with high-throughput quantitative methodologies such as iTRAQ®, TMT®, and Label-free approaches.
- Ability to apply and/or develop affinity/activity-based proteomic probes to profile the functional state of enzyme targets in native biological systems and assess selectivity of compounds.
- Ability to work with an interdisciplinary team of biologists, chemists, and computational scientists to deeply characterize and understand the proteomes of cells, biofluids and tissues.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and present data in a clear fashion.
- Solid scientific training/productivity as identified through high impact publications demonstrating creative thinking as well as innovative technical approaches.
- Experience in bioanalytics of Protein Theraputics and FDA regulations is a plus.
- Experience with Thermo Orbitrap and Q-Exactives mass spectrometers is a plus.